Saturday, April 06, 2013

It's Only a Flesh Wound


Once again I got out of the routine of my usual weekly posts. I’m going to blame the Easter madness that tends to consume a pastor’s life. Now that we are past that time I can get back to the important things, like this blog.



I’m currently reading, TheAnticipatory Corpse, by Jeffery Bishop. So far it is a very good book that is taking a deep and careful look at the treatment of death in the medical field. I haven’t gotten to the end yet, but I am presuming that everyone is dead by the last chapter. I’ll let you know.

One of the areas Bishop looks at is when a person is declared “dead.” I don’t want to get into the details of that argument right now, instead I would like to consider the idea of when a person stops “living.”

The idea of “living” is a moving target. One could use a simple physiological approach and say that as long as the heart is beating and the brain is working than the individual is alive. Others, like me, may claim that there is more to “living” than pumping blood and sending electrical singles around one’s body. I prefer to take a more philosophical view asking what the purpose of life might be.

If someone is in the ICU and is being kept alive (physiologically speaking) by machines I would argue that the individual is not “living.” This doesn’t mean the individual is dead – I think dead would mean the individual has no chance to live ever again. It means the person is not engaging with life at the potential with which he or she can. This also means that there are many people who are healthy but are not living (think the individual who spends a large percentage of time on a couch in front of a glowing box with a steady stream of drool dripping from his or her mouth). The fun part begins when we ask what it means to “live.” Does it mean interacting with people? Does it mean the individual is self-aware? Does it mean the individual has autonomy over his or her life (making the question of suicide interesting – perhaps it is a final act of living…)? Living is more complicated when taking more than a mechanical view of the body.

When looked at philosophically one may not be living when admitted to an ICU but continues to hold a potential to return to living and thus is not dead. Yet if the individual is being kept alive by machines and will die if unplugged then I would suggest that the individual stopped living for some time and now is waiting to die, or is actively dying. For many it would be much easier to stay with the physiological and claim that someone is no longer living if the heart stops working and/or if the brain stops doing its thing. Yet I think that is avoiding the bigger question of what it means to live in sickness and in health.

Look, we are all going to die in the end, sorry to spoil it for you. What will you do to live? Reading my blog is a good start.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

I was fascinated (and a little uncomfortable) when I read an essay a few years ago about the changing definitions of medical death over the last few decades.

You asked the right question here -- if the goal posts keep moving on "death,' that also changes the definition of "life," too, right?

Anyway, have you read Hofstadter's "I Am a Strange Loop?" Talks about consciousness as a system that's endlessly recursive, and whether there's any "there" there, where our consciousness is concerned.

--Dan H.

Jonathan Malone said...

Dan,
Thanks for your comments - we need more philosophy/theology so we can ask the questions about what it means to live. Yet look at your philosophy section at your local bookstore and you will see that such interests are dying.

I haven't read Hofstadter's work - sounds almost mystical

J